At any family get-together or holiday, chances are there are a number of traditions you follow, stories you share and photographs or trinkets you bond over. Many of these are told and shared for years so long as they are preserved. Many of us can recall precious memories and treasures that we make mental notes of to keep passing down and sharing, but what if there was an easier, safer way to preserve these family memories and mementos? “Family memories, treasures and heirlooms are truly priceless,” says Kelly Carroll, Director of Community Relations at YourLife™ of Palm Beach Gardens, offering Independent Living with Supportive Services, Assisted Living and Memory Care in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida. “No matter where you are in life, someone usually has a story or experience to share to help get you through hard times, an heirloom to use on a special day or simply a priceless treasure that makes you smile and think of a loved one each time you look at it. Maintaining them for future generations or even for the family as a whole is important, as it’s wonderful to know where you come from, who has impacted the lives of your family members and just who came up with that wonderful picnic recipe everyone simply adores that you are always hungry for!”
Preserving Heirlooms and Memories for Years to Come
If you were to lose your long-loved memories, forget your favorite stories or if something were to happen to heirlooms, treasures and trinkets, it would likely devastate not just you but many others in your family. This is where preservation comes in. Consider some of the following ways to retain your family’s rich and vibrant history.
- Make a family tree. Write out all of the members of your family, full names, relationships, birth dates and places, wedding dates and as much as you can, so you and everyone else can have a full understanding of where you’ve come from. Make copies of this or upload it electronically, so you can continue adding to it for years to come.
- Create a recipe book. Does your grandmother have a ton of recipes you love? Has your family passed down a number of recipe cards? Compile them all into a recipe book for safe keeping. Be sure to be extremely specific in your directions and measurements, so you can be sure that when you recreate the recipe, it tastes just like it did in the good old days. To make sure it remains extra safe, you can also upload this electronically and keep adding to it.
- Compile and scrapbook pictures. Chances are your family members have so many pictures laying around. Ask them to compile them, label in pencil who is in the photograph and what the date could be and make a scrapbook out of them. Having photographs in one place to flip through can be so much easier than digging through old boxes for specific pictures.
- Record family interviews. According to Joan Lunden, recording interviews can be the perfect way to keep stories going on forever - during family picnics, holidays or celebrations. Her site includes a number of questions you can include, or else you can come up with your own. After the interviews, upload them to the computer and back them up on a shared drive.
- Compile trinkets for safekeeping. Bring your most valuable items and, if possible, store them in a locked fire-proof safe. If that’s not possible, talk to the bank about their options.
When doing these things, keep in mind it’s important to ensure proper environment and storage. According to the National Archives, you should ensure your items are in a cool, dry and stable environment. You should also be sure that items aren’t stored in basements, attics or garages because of the unstable environment and likelihood of pests and bugs. Photos should be placed in archival-safe photo sleeves, and electronic, digital and audiovisual items should be stored in their respective cases and folders. To learn more about preserving your memories and to discover the benefits that this can have on those with memory loss, contact the team at YourLife™ of Palm Beach Gardens.
Inspired • Engaged • Fulfilled
Offering Independent Living with Supportive Services, Assisted Living and Memory Care, YourLife™ of Palm Beach Gardens was designed specifically with residents in mind. We know your life is shaped by family, friends, hobbies, passions and more, so we’ve created a community where you can enjoy comfort, independence and engagement, all while having the peace of mind of 24-hour support and the freedom to define your own lifestyle. Here, we shape each thing we do around you, from your routines and interests to your choices and preferences, to create an inspiring lifestyle that fits YourLife™ perfectly. Because we are completely shaped around you, our residents get more of out their lives. With exceptional care delivered by a dedicated and compassionate team and a fulfilling lifestyle full of choice and convenience, residents have the support they need to live as independently and engaged as possible. Each day holds something new for residents. Whether they are enjoying our exclusive activities, learning something new or simply engaging in our YourStory programming, we create an individual experience centered around each resident. Do you enjoy making new discoveries and trying new hobbies, simply want to continue the hobbies you love or enjoy some time to yourself to relax? At YourLife™ of Palm Beach Gardens, the choice is up to you. Contact us to learn more! Call us at 561-246-6102 for more information or to schedule a personal visit today.