If you have a loved one who was recently diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease or another form of dementia, you may be unsure what your next steps are in your journey. “One of the first and most important things you can do is to take some time to gather your thoughts and adjust to the news that your loved one has dementia,” says Cheyanne Schaible, Community Relations Director at YourLife™ of Wildwood. “Even if you had some inkling that your loved one was dealing with dementia, the shock of a diagnosis is something that no one can quickly recover from. While it’s natural to want to jump right into planning and caregiving, it’s crucial to take some time and gather knowledge.”
What Happens After a Dementia Diagnosis?
After a diagnosis, there’s a lot to do and consider. From what to ask the doctor, how to support your loved one and how to plan for the future, it can all be a lot to handle. Fortunately, with the right information your journey can be made easier. Let YourLife™ of Wildwood help. After a diagnosis, you will:
- Likely have a lot of questions for the doctor. From what’s next to what can I expect further down the road, your questions are likely endless. Be sure to ask what kind of dementia your loved one has, what stage they are in, how long it takes to progress, what symptoms you can expect and what you should do to help. Your loved one’s doctor is likely your best resource right after diagnosis.
- Need to do some research. Once you find out your loved one’s particular diagnosis, take some time to do some in-depth research. Find out what you can do to help them, how they may change in the future and who you can contact for more support. It’s likely that someone you know may have also cared for someone with dementia, so don’t be afraid to reach out and talk to them.
- Be a support system for your loved one.Whether they accept their diagnosis or is having a hard time coping, it’s important to let them know you are there for them. Ask them how they are feeling and if they want to talk. If not, simply give them some space and let them know they are always able to talk to you.
- Talk to them about the future and their wishes. Do they want to be cared for at home by you, or do they prefer to move to a Memory Care community where they can enjoy engaging programming, meals and activities tailored to their wants and needs. If so, begin touring communities with your loved one to get a feel for what they like. If your loved one doesn’t want to hear of it, don’t push them just yet. Instead, care for them at home and continue to bring the subject up slowly and state that it’s a discussion you need to have so you can ensure their needs and desires are met.
- Alert friends and family.Whether their memory loss is noticeable yet or not, it’s good to let other people know what to expect as time goes on. This can also allow them to provide you with support while remaining close to their loved one with dementia.
A dementia diagnosis tends to affect the whole family, so it’s important that while you’re supporting your loved one and friends and family, that you also receive the support you need. We’re here to help. Consider joining us for a support group and educational events that can help to inform you about dementia, enhance your caregiving and provide you with the confidence you need to help your loved one face this journey. To learn more or schedule a tour contact our team today at 352-358-1952.
Designed for You. Defined by You.
YourLife™ of Wildwood provides the most exceptional Memory Care and uplifting lifestyle for our residents. In fact, we were created with that one purpose in mind. Each day, we focus all our energy, attention and resources to creating an environment that caters to each resident’s personal needs, choices and individuality, while ensuring unequaled peace of mind and dedicated support for families. At YourLife™ of Wildwood, we have the ability to design and personally tailor plans around our residents thanks to our sole focus on memory care. We understand that everyone has their own story, specific needs and retained abilities, so we develop personally inspired care plans that help to enhance and support each person’s independence while enriching their days. To ensure further peace of mind, our team of YourLife™ Personal Care Specialists are on site 24 hours a day, seven days a week to provide assistance with everyday activities, gentle reminders and redirection. With our signature YourStory programming, we not only personalize memory care, but we are able to create an individual experience centered around each resident. From cultural, educational and wellness programming to scheduled outings and other special events, to personal care, assistance and multiple therapies, we create days with meaning. At YourLife™ of Wildwood, our residents and their families know that this is a community designed for you, with a lifestyle defined by you. Contact us to learn more! Call us at 352-358-1952 for more information or to schedule a personal visit today.