When you or a loved one have been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease or one of the many other forms of dementia, you may be quick to think that your life will never be the same. While it’s true your life might not be exactly the same as it was before, it doesn’t mean that you can’t live inspired, engaged and fulfilled days. In fact, with the right mindset, approach to care and opportunities, your life can continue being exceptional. According to Winsome McLeod, Executive Director at YourLife™ of Stuart, a memory care community in Stuart, Florida, memory care with meaning makes all the difference in the lives of seniors with dementia. “When seniors are diagnosed with dementia, one of the first things they tend to think about is how their lives are going to change, especially as the disease progresses. At YourLife™ of Stuart, we know how this can affect seniors, so we created our memory care program with one purpose: to provide the care and lifestyle that seniors with dementia deserve,” says Winsome. “We specifically designed this community for residents with dementia and focus all of our energy and attention to ensure our residents define their own lives. Their preferences, choices and routines provide the guidelines for everything we do, from programming and care to dining and more, allowing us to create a lifestyle that gives seniors the freedom to live their lives as they please, even in spite of dementia.”
Enhancing the Lives of Seniors with Dementia
Whether you are considering a memory care community for yourself or your loved one, you are caring for someone with dementia and would like to know how to provide them with the lifestyle they deserve, or you want to know how you can enhance your life even with dementia, YourLife™ of Stuart can help. Below are only a few of the ways YourLife™ helps those with dementia to live their very best lives. Try to implement some of these ideas into your caregiving or daily routine in order to enhance everyday life.
- Consider values and preferences. Whether you have been diagnosed with dementia or you are serving as a caregiver to a loved one with memory loss, it’s important to consider what it is that makes a person who they are. Does your loved one prefer to be engaged in an array of activities and thrive when there’s lots to do? Make sure to provide this lifestyle for them or find a memory care community that will. Do you want the peace of mind of constant care without having to worry about maintenance? Memory care might be a great choice for you.
- Provide the care they deserve. Seniors with dementia need more care as time progresses. Memory care professionals, much like family caregivers, take the time to get to know residents and understand their needs, respect their choices and provide an empowering amount of support, encouraging residents to live as independently as possible. As care needs increase, caregivers may find themselves burning out and unable to provide the level of care they wish they could, knowing their loved one deserves the best. This could mean a move to a memory care community is in the future.
- Engage in programming. Just because you or your loved one have been diagnosed with dementia, it doesn’t mean giving up hobbies, passions and activities. Instead of withdrawing from them, join those that interest you if your dementia allows. If you are self-conscious about having dementia, consider participating in the activities at a local memory care community. These are often tailored to your needs and can help you meet others facing similar experiences.
- Try a respite stay. If, as a caregiver, you are becoming burnt out and would like your loved one to see what lifestyle would await them at a memory care community, consider trying a respite stay. This will allow them to get a taste of the programming offerings, social opportunities and person-centered care that memory care communities can provide them, all while you can rest assured knowing your loved one is being cared for just as you’d care for them.
- Consider a move to memory care. If you or your loved one aren’t getting the lifestyle that’s deserved and desired, moving to a memory care community is likely a good idea. Not only can you or your loved one receive the care and peace of mind you’d like but you always have access to an engaging lifestyle, new experiences and different things to do each day.
Be Inspired • Engaged • Fulfilled
At YourLife™ of Stuart, we strive to ensure that seniors diagnosed with dementia experience life how they choose. By offering exceptional care by a dedicated and compassionate team who knows you, as well as engaging programming to provide you with new experiences, discoveries and passions, we inspire residents to live their lives to the fullest. To learn more about our vibrant lifestyle and see how we can help you or your loved one make your life exceptional, call us today at 772-207-4191.
Designed for You. Defined by You.
YourLife™ of Stuart was created with one purpose – to provide the most exceptional memory care and uplifting lifestyle for our residents. As memory care specialists, we focus all our energy, attention and resources to creating a community that caters to each resident’s personal needs, respects their choices and honors individuality, while providing unequaled peace of mind and support for families. Because memory care is our sole focus, we have the unique ability to design and personally tailor plans around our residents. We see each resident as an individual, understanding that everyone has their own story, specific needs and retained abilities. With that information, we develop personally inspired care plans that value and support each person’s independence. Our team of attentive, caring YourLife Personal Care Specialists is on site 24 hours a day, seven days a week to provide assistance with everyday activities, gentle reminders and redirection. Through our signature programming, YourStory, we create an individual experience centered around each resident. From cultural, educational and health and wellness programming, scheduled outings and other special events to personal care, assistance and multiple therapies, we create days with meaning. At YourLife of Stuart, our residents and families know that this is a community designed for you, with a lifestyle defined by you. Contact us to learn more!