The effects of stress have been studied for a long period of time. Not only can it decrease happiness and cause health problems, but it can also deeply impact your brain and memory power. Managing stress and finding ways to relieve it can help to ensure a healthy brain and mind for years to come. According to Kelly Carroll, Director of Community Relations at YourLife™ of Palm Beach Gardens, offering Independent Living with Supportive Services, Assisted Living and Memory Care in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, stress can be inescapable, but it’s worth it to try to find effective ways to cope with it. “It’s difficult to live your best life when you’re so busy being worried about everything,” she says. “Not only does it harm us physically, but it can affect us mentally in some pretty significant ways. To secure a better future, healthier brain and long-lasting memory, try out some techniques to manage stress.”
The Effects of Stress on the Mind
While stress can be a good thing and can help us to act quickly in distress and solve problems, it can be detrimental to our minds. An article featured by Harvard Health Publishing states that it can:
- Damage your ability to retain memory
- Change the way your process information
- Affect attention
- Cause chronic diseases of the brain
- Rewire your brain completely
The article states that these changes can be reversible but depending on when certain events happened in your life, it may be more difficult. For example, the earlier a trauma occurred, the more likely your brain has completely generated a new mechanism to compensate. This, however, doesn’t mean you can’t work to lessen the effects of stress in your life today!
Tips to Manage Stress
If you’re often finding yourself stressed out, try some of Harvard Health’s tips on protecting yourself from damaging effects of it.
- Try to establish some control. Because tension often surfaces because of a lack of control, it can help to set a routine and control the things you can.
- Get sleep. How much better do you feel after a good night’s rest? Not only can it be harder to sleep when you are tense, but not getting enough sleep can make you stress, as well. Instead, create healthy sleep habits like going to bed at the same time, waking up at your normal time and avoiding caffeine later in the day.
- Use strategies to get more organized. By managing your workload, having a concrete list of tasks to accomplish and lessening the chances you get bombarded, you are helping yourself clear your mind and relax.
- Ask for help. Some things may be too difficult to handle on your own, so reach out for help if possible and necessary. According to the article, reaching out can help improve resilience, help you manage your stress and ultimately protect your brain health.
While not all stress is created equal, managing it can benefit everyone. To learn more about the benefits of stress relief and how to improve your brain power, or to gain a better support system, contact the team at YourLife™ of Palm Beach Gardens. We would be happy to show you or a loved one better ways to handle tension, exercise the mind and more. Simply give us a call to schedule your visit today!
Inspired • Engaged • Fulfilled
Offering Independent Living with Supportive Services, Assisted Living and Memory Care, YourLife™ of Palm Beach Gardens was designed specifically with residents in mind. We know your life is shaped by family, friends, hobbies, passions and more, so we’ve created a community where you can enjoy comfort, independence and engagement, all while having the peace of mind of 24-hour support and the freedom to define your own lifestyle. Here, we shape each thing we do around you, from your routines and interests to your choices and preferences, to create an inspiring lifestyle that fits YourLife™ perfectly. Because we are completely shaped around you, our residents get more out of their lives. With exceptional care delivered by a dedicated and compassionate team and a fulfilling lifestyle full of choice and convenience, residents have the support they need to live as independently and engaged as possible. Each day holds something new for residents. Whether they are enjoying our exclusive activities, learning something new or simply engaging in our YourStory programming, we create an individual experience centered around each resident. Do you enjoy making new discoveries and trying new hobbies, simply want to continue the hobbies you love or enjoy some time to yourself to relax? At YourLife™ of Palm Beach Gardens, the choice is up to you. Contact us to learn more! Call us at 561-246-6102 for more information or to schedule a personal visit today.