When it’s time for a loved one to move into a Memory Care community, it’s common for them to feel as though they’ve lost their independence. This can make them feel agitated, upset or even aggressive toward you or others – especially on the day of the move. While there may be no other choice but to move to a Memory Care community, it is possible to choose one that promotes the highest level of independence along with the dedicated expertise of Personal Care Specialists. After all, just because your loved one needs Memory Care support, it doesn’t mean their passions, hobbies and who they are have changed. According to Winsome McLeod, Executive Director at YourLife™ of Stuart, a Memory Care community in Stuart, Florida, finding a Memory Care community where the team sees residents as who they were before their diagnosis is crucial. “By getting to know each resident as an individual and learning their life stories, it’s possible to build a personally inspired care plan that is tailored to their abilities, needs and preferences while increasing their independence,” says Winsome. “While this may seem like something that is standard and to be expected, it’s important to visit Memory Care communities to see if this is truly something that is put into effect each day. For example, when touring, do you notice residents and staff interacting positively with each other? Are they animatedly telling stories, deeply engaged in programming they love and appear comfortable and at home? Is the team allowing residents to do things on their own while being encouraging and stepping in only after a being asked or needed? These interactions can tell you a lot about the care residents receive as well as the level of independence they have.”
Enhancing Independence Through a Personal Approach to Care
Because the desire for independence doesn’t change even though care needs may, YourLife™ of Stuart provides multiple ways to ensure residents experience as much independence as possible while living inspired, engaged and fulfilled lives. Our YourLife™ Personal Care Specialists provide this by:
- Creating a community designed to enhance independence. At YourLife™ of Stuart, we’ve built our community specifically around seniors with memory loss. With small, welcoming neighborhoods, our residents can feel comfortable, relaxed and at home while being able to move about freely and get to know those around them, allowing friendships to flourish and helping our team get to know them even better.
- Taking time to get to know each resident. Because we see each resident as they are, we are able to learn their stories. We know what makes your loved one who they are, what events from their past have influenced their lives and what means the most to them. We talk to our residents, spend time with them and genuinely care about their experience. The bonds we build allow us to value and support each residents’ independence, no matter what their needs are.
- Developing personally inspired care plans. Does your loved one get up at the same time each day and head right to breakfast? Do they prefer to sleep in and enjoy a nice long walk with coffee upon waking up? Our Personal Care Specialists take all these things into consideration when creating a care plan for your loved one. We work around your loved one, not the other way around, so they can continue enjoying life as they’ve known it, feeling more independent as a result.
- Finding YourStory programming that will engage the resident. When our team gets to know your loved one, we are able to find programming that fits their hobbies and interests, helping them to either continue the things they love or help them embrace their favorite things again. Unfortunately, memory loss can cause depression and fear of being judged, causing those with the disease to stop enjoying what they used to. We help ease them back into it while inspiring them to try new things, as well.
- Encouraging health and wellness. In order to maximize independence, freedom and enjoyment of life, we offer a wellness center for on-site physician appointments as well as exercise programs. These programs are developed specifically for each resident and adjusted, as needed, for individual abilities.
- Implementing technology. Using advanced technology, our residents and their families benefit from greater peace of mind. Residents can remain safe while enjoying everything our community has to offer thanks to the oversight of our Personal Care Specialists and state-of-the-art Wellness Bands. Not only do these bands allow residents to call for assistance, alert the team of falls or issues and keep the team aware of their location, but they can also allow keyless entry into their own suites and monitor fitness and resident activity.
- Offering specialized dining. Even our dining program enhances independence. With altered-consistency dining, finger foods and food-on-the-go, we can adapt to your loved one’s schedule and needs to enhance independence, allowing them to wander as they please and maintain their dignity. In the event your loved one cannot eat independently, we provide hand-over-hand assistance that simply assists them and encourages them to do what they can on their own.
Thanks to our approach to care, our Personal Care Specialists can provide the care that your loved one deserves all while ensuring their days are full of engaging experiences with the utmost independence. This is the difference that your loved one deserves and the peace of mind you desire. For more information or to learn more, contact our team today to schedule a tour.
Designed for You. Defined by You.
YourLife™ of Stuart was created with one purpose – to provide the most exceptional memory care and uplifting lifestyle for our residents. As memory care specialists, we focus all our energy, attention and resources to creating a community that caters to each resident’s personal needs, respects their choices and honors individuality, while providing unequaled peace of mind and support for families. Because memory care is our sole focus, we have the unique ability to design and personally tailor plans around our residents. We see each resident as an individual, understanding that everyone has their own story, specific needs and retained abilities. With that information, we develop personally inspired care plans that value and support each person’s independence. Our team of attentive, caring YourLife™ Personal Care Specialists is on site 24 hours a day, seven days a week to provide assistance with everyday activities, gentle reminders and redirection. Through our signature programming, YourStory, we create an individual experience centered around each resident. From cultural, educational and health and wellness programming, scheduled outings and other special events to personal care, assistance and multiple therapies, we create days with meaning. At YourLife™ of Stuart, our residents and families know that this is a community designed for you, with a lifestyle defined by you. Contact us to learn more!