The holiday season can be a stressful time for anyone. From holiday shopping, meal prepping and planning, preparing the home and creating magical memories, there’s always so much to do. But for those caring for a loved one with memory loss, the list can get even bigger. This often leads to worsening amounts of stress, burnout and even depression for the caregiver, causing the holiday season to become less than jolly. “Caregivers of loved ones with memory loss are prone to feeling burnt out and stressed because of lack of help, never-ending lists of things to do and having little to no support” says Cristal Baer, Director of Community Relations at YourLife™ of Tallahassee, a Memory Care community in Tallahassee, Florida. “It’s a lot for caregivers to take on. From managing behaviors and medication, and planning meaningful and engaging activities to dealing with the tasks of daily life and then adding holiday hustle and bustle to the list, it’s easy to see why caregivers can become so overtired and overworked. This is why it’s crucial for them to receive support and assistance.”
5 Ways to Support a Caregiver During the Holidays
This holiday season, try to find a way you can help your friend or family member who is caring for a loved one with memory loss. Consider some of the following ways you can gift them support.
- Offer to help with a chore. While it may not seem like much, taking a chore off of their to-do list is likely one of the best ways you can help. Offer to clean the house, pick up a prescription, take them to a doctor’s appointment or even cook or bring dinner.
- Give them a break. Taking some time to yourself can be a great way to lessen stress and burnout. Offer to stay with your loved one while they take some time to do what they need.
- Get involved in holiday planning. If your loved one is opting to host the holiday festivities, do your best to help them plan. Create lists with them, do the grocery shopping, help to clean and cook. It can also help them to have someone beside them when they try to find new ways to adapt traditions to fit their loved one with memory loss and their needs. Don’t forget to help them create a space for their loved one with memory loss to retreat to if the festivities become too much to deal with.
- Offer to host the festivities yourself or organize a way to make the get-together smaller. Having a lot of commotion and travel is hard on those with dementia. If possible, try to find a way to ensure that the gathering doesn’t get too hectic or overwhelming. It can help to lessen the amount of people that show up at any one time and it can also help to take the stress away from the caregiver by hosting it on your own.
- Consider gifting a respite stay. If you live further away from your loved one and can’t spend time with your loved one with dementia, or simply want to help your friend or family member have more time to do what they want or need to do, a respite stay may be the perfect choice. Not only will it help provide the caregiver with some free time and their loved one with engaging and purposeful activities, but everyone will enjoy peace of mind knowing that their loved one is safe, has access to all services and amenities and that healthcare is available on site.
For more information or ideas on how to make the holidays easier for a loved one with dementia and their caregiver, contact a member of YourLife™ of Tallahassee. We would be happy to share our expert knowledge and help you enhance both you and your loved one’s holiday season. Give us a call today at 850-250-5671.
Inspired ● Engaged ● Fulfilled
If someone you love is living with memory loss, you want the very best for them. You’ll find it at YourLife™ of Tallahassee. Because Memory Care is all that we do, we have the unique ability to focus all our energy, attention and resources into creating an environment that caters to each resident’s needs, preferences and abilities while providing unequaled peace of mind and support for families. We see each resident as an individual because we understand that each resident has their own story. Using this idea, we develop personally inspired care plans that value and support each person’s independence while creating beautiful days. No matter how much care they need, our team of attentive, caring YourLife™ Personal Care Specialists can provide assistance with all activities of daily living while providing reminders, guidance, support and cues. Even better, residents and their families experience true peace of mind knowing that expert care is on site 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Our personal touch doesn’t stop at our care. In fact, it’s only just the beginning. We create days that leave residents feeling Inspired. Engaged. Fulfilled through our signature programming, YourStory. With individual experiences centered around each resident, engaging outings, services and amenities, activities, dining and more, we create opportunities to learn and pursue new endeavors. At YourLife™ of Tallahassee, everything was designed for you, but it is defined by you, creating a lifestyle that makes every day a joy. Contact us to learn more! Call us at 850-250-5671 for more information or to schedule a personal visit today.