The holidays are a time for friends, family and giving. We look forward to seeing those we haven’t seen in some time, having a delicious meal consisting of all of our festive favorites and opening presents from those we love. We don’t often think about how that could change, but when a loved one is diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease or another form of dementia, it can all change in the blink of an eye.
This is often when a caregiver will step in to provide support and care for their loved one, helping them to get dressed, manage the activities of daily life and ensure all their needs are met. Not much may seem to change at first, but when memory loss progresses, it can become increasingly difficult to do and enjoy things they’ve always loved, and when the holidays come around, a number of other challenges may present themselves.
“As memory loss progresses, caregivers may find that their loved one is unable to remember certain people, short-term memories and more. They may also have problems with overstimulation, which is common around the holidays because of large gatherings, an array of lights and flashy ornaments,” says Jillian Castellano, Community Relations Director at YourLife™ of Coconut Creek, a Memory Care community in Coconut Creek, Florida. “This can not only make loved ones with Alzheimer’s disease or other forms of dementia act out, but it can also cause caregivers additional burnout, making the season stressful for all.”
Fortunately, there are a number of ways that caregivers can make their holidays merry and bright for both themselves and their loved one with dementia. These can include adapting your travel plans, not celebrating the holiday or refraining from having a large family gathering as you’ve always done. If those options don’t appeal to you, Respite Care may be the best choice.
How Respite Care Can Benefit Caregivers During the Holiday Season
- It can help you to enjoy the season as you planned. Many families travel during the holidays. Travel with a loved one with dementia can be difficult if not impossible. Respite care can help you to keep your plans, get the rest and break you need and still give you the peace of mind of knowing your loved one is being cared for by dedicated professionals.
- Respite Care can help you catch up on holiday shopping. If you’re still searching for the perfect gifts, spend the time your loved one is at Respite Care to make sure you’ve picked out the perfect gift for each person. Then, spend some time wrapping your presents and getting them hidden!
- It can give you time for holiday meal prep. Baking and cooking, cleaning the home and preparing for a holiday get-together can be hard when a loved one with dementia needs your constant attention. Many times, a short respite stay will make it easier to complete everything you need to.
- It can give your loved one peace and an opportunity to experience a lifestyle they’ll love. Holiday hustle and bustle can bring your loved one fear, agitation and sometimes even aggression. Instead of fearing if your loved one will wander, trying to help them cope or calm down, or adapting your plans, try respite care. Here, programming and activities are tailored to your loved one’s preferences, needs and desires, helping them to have a happy holiday season as well.
- It will give you time to rest and rejuvenate. Caring for a loved one with memory loss can be difficult. Respite Care can help you spend some much-needed time to yourself or with your family, without adding to your everyday stress.
For more information about Respite Care and how it can benefit your holiday, we invite you to contact the team at YourLife™ of Coconut Creek at 954-228-6252.
Inspiring Memory Care Designed for You. Defined by You.
YourLife™ of Coconut Creek was created to provide the most exceptional Memory Care and uplifting lifestyle for our residents. We focus all our energy, attention and resources to creating a community that caters to each resident’s personal needs, respects their choices and honors individuality, while providing unequaled peace of mind and support for families.
Because Memory Care is our sole focus, we have the unique ability to design and personally tailor plans around our residents. We understand that each resident is an individual that has their own story, specific needs and retained abilities, so we develop personally inspired care plans that value and support each person’s independence.
Our team of attentive, caring YourLife™ Personal Care Specialists are on site 24 hours a day, seven days a week to provide assistance with everyday activities, gentle reminders and redirection.
With YourStory, our signature programming, we create an individual experience centered around each resident. From cultural, educational and holistic health and wellness programming, outings and an array of other special events to personal care, assistance and therapies, we create days with meaning. At YourLife™ of Coconut Creek, our residents and families know that this is a community designed for you, with a lifestyle defined by you. Contact us to learn more!
Call us at 954-228-6252 for more information or to schedule a personal visit today.