While knowing what to get a caregiver of a loved one with dementia can be difficult, it can be even more difficult when you want to find a practical gift for both of them to use and benefit from. Fortunately, it may be easier than one would think as long as you know what to look for and how it can help. Often, what makes those with dementia happier and what makes their lives easier also benefits the caregiver, so when choosing a gift for both of them, keep this in mind to find the perfect present. There are many gifts that can benefit both the caregiver and the senior with dementia, according to Robin Crum, Executive Director of YourLife™ of Pensacola, a Memory Care community in Pensacola, FL. “When shopping for a gift, there are a few things to consider in order to choose the one with the most benefit,” she says. “Those with dementia often have different abilities depending on their stage of memory loss. When choosing a gift, it’s important to think about this. For example, those in the later stages may be able to do less than those in the early stages, or those in the early stages may be more independent. If you are unsure what your loved one’s abilities are, be sure to talk to their caregiver, so you can find the most practical items possible.”
Practical and Beneficial Gifts for Caregivers and Seniors with Dementia
For some ideas on gifts that are sure to make your loved one’s holidays merry and bright, consider some of the following:
- A portrait puzzle. Is there a particular moment in your loved one’s life that they remember vividly? Is there a picture that entices them to recall moments from their past? Depending on their stage of memory loss, a portrait puzzle can be the perfect present. This will not only keep your loved one with dementia occupied, but it could also allow them to recall events from their past while improving their mood and encouraging a good conversation.
- A smart device. Many caregivers often find themselves repeating the same information over and over to their loved one with dementia. Whether they often ask what time it is, what day it is or what the weather is like, smart devices such as a tablet with an enlarged clock or even an Amazon Echo Dot® can help. On many of these devices, seniors can simply ask it what they want to know, removing the need for repetition and providing instant answers to those with dementia.
- Recording devices. Not only can these serve as reminders for your loved one but they can also help soothe them when their caregiver isn’t directly nearby. On many of these devices, you record a message and with the press of a button, and they will hear your voice.
- A picture phone. If your loved one wants to call someone but has trouble reading or remembering names, a picture phone can be the perfect solution. These phones have large pictures of loved ones with pre-programmed numbers, so those with dementia can simply press on the picture of the person they’d like to talk to. This can reduce stress and agitation while helping them retain memory and independence.
- Conversation games. Get to know your loved one better and help them to recall events at the same time by playing some conversation games. Some games, such as Call-to-Mind, will help you get to know their likes and dislikes, preferences and more.
For more gift ideas or to learn more about what practical items your loved one with dementia and their caregiver could use, contact the team at YourLife™ of Pensacola. We would be happy to help you find the perfect gifts for your loved ones.
The Memory Care Your Loved One Deserves.
Offering the very best in Memory Care, YourLife™ of Pensacola was designed specifically with residents in mind. We’ve created a community where residents can define their own lifestyle, based on their preferences, needs and story, all while having the peace of mind of 24-hour support and the freedom to define their own lifestyles. Because we focus solely on Memory Care, all of our resources and attention are on catering to each resident’s needs while providing unequaled peace of mind for families. Our licensed nurses and YourLife™ Personal Care Specialists are on site 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to provide personally inspired care and support, no matter what your needs. With such dedicated care, our residents have the support they need to live as independently and engaged as possible. At YourLife™ of Pensacola, YourStory comes to life. Whether you want to enjoy our exclusive activities and YourStory programming, spend time exploring our services and amenities, relax in our easy-to-navigate Memory Care neighborhoods and living areas or try something new, the choice is entirely up to you. Contact us to learn more! Call us at 850-898-3334 for more information or to schedule a personal visit today.